Release the Hate in You


Many years ago, a fifteen-year-old me, filled my mind with hate. That was a terrible time in my life. I hated the only person who loved me more than anyone else. My mother. She did nothing wrong but tried to protect me from destroying my life. I hated her. I rebelled against her. 

I rejected my mother’s love and encouraged hate to stay in my heart. Years later, I realized I was young and foolish. I did not understand love. I now select love over hate. I try to love everyone.

Today, as we remember Martin Luther King, Jr., let us remember how he resisted the feeling of hate and elected love instead. “I’ve decided to stick with love,” King said. “Hate is too great a burden to bear.”

I had carried hate and it was truly a “great burden.” 

What about you? Do you allow hate to burden you? If so, release the hate in you. 

11 comments:

  1. I let it go, I hate a few things of course, like the 9-5 lol, but with people I don't. Just avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully I don't hold onto anger or hate, as they do nothing but hurt both mentally and physically and are not good for the health. I let it go, it isn't worth the pain it causes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate is truly a great burden, I have to remember his quote more often as is so easy to give up to it, especially when you are weak or still young and tend to ruminate on useless things. Peaches, send you a big hug xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. No hate here. It truly is a heavy burden. In fact, I go so far as to try forgiving EVERYONE the instant there's a conflict--because holding a grudge or any kind of ill feelings is the same. Life is so much better when we can just let go of the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin Luther King Jr. was the wisest of men. I wish he was still with us. There are few like him.

    I forgave teen me long ago. Teenagers aren't quite wired right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I allow hate to burden me. I guess I'm the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is someone in my life and the feelings touch the edges of hate. I have to mindfully let it go almost everyday. I don't want to carry it around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think hate only hurts the hater. It's much better to love. I'm glad you found your way through all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hate not, but anger yes, it is difficult not getting angry in today's grim world filled with injustice

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful, heartfelt post! Hate is a seriously bad thing that can devour a person. Like Sherry said, I'm glad you found your way through all of that. But I also agree with Dezmond that being angry is different from hating. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Peaches, but I've had connectivity issues because of the Time-Warner and Comcast merger. Hey, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said. Teens often get caught up in that so much, hating and rebelling against their mothers. So sad! They don't realize they're hurting themselves with that hate inside.

    ReplyDelete

These are our stories. Thank you for your kind comment and laugh as often as you can. Peaches D. Ledwidge, author of Day Laughs Night Cries: Fifteen